Saturday, November 7, 2015

Weekly Article Blog 11/2-11/6


Citation: Sumner, Thomas. "News Brief: Rare Gem May Hold Earliest Sign of Life." Student Science. Thomas Sumner, 1 Nov. 2015. Web. 7 Nov. 2015.

Summary: This article is about a find of a rare gem that may contain the earliest sign of life on this old earth. It says that this gem is rare because there is something called carbon impurity in it. It is also rare because the gem has a sign that may contain the earliest sign of life on it and isolated cells can't stay in rock too long. Very ancient zircons with carbon inclusions are super rare. They had to look through 10,000 crystals before they managed to find just one of these rare gems.


  • How much did you know about the topic before you read the article? What do you now know about the topic that you did not know before?
When I first started to read the article I didn't know much about gems. Gems were just shiny things found in our earth just for jewelry and decorations with nothing special at all on them. Now I read the article I now know that gems can have special stuff on them. And that gems like this are very very rare to come across.If you come across one of these you could make a lot of money for a gem like that.

  • Why did you choose this article?

I chose this article because out of all the other articles I thought this one was the most interesting. As I was looking at all the articles I wasn't very interested because it wasn't in my interest to look at them. I kept looking and looking for an interesting article to read and blog about until I found this article. I thought is was interesting because I never really got a chance to read or learn about gems at all. So I thought this was a good chance for me to learn about them.

  • How does the information provided in this article affect the future?

This info from this article affects the future in many ways just to name a few. One way is if someone were to learn more about gems then they would go to the article and get info for the project, learning, etc. Another way is if someone finds a gem like this and they want to learn about it. The final way I am going to list is if they want to find a gem like that and if they want to see what it looks like and stuff then they can go into the article. So these are some of the many ways that this article could affect the future.

  • One question you have after reading the article. How would you go about answering that question.

Why are these gems so rare? These gems are rare because only a couple are found in the world. They are also rare because they could contain signs of the first life on earth. And these cells and carbon are very very hard to find on gems. And cells from the first life on earth are very very hard to find because they can't last long in rock. So that answers the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment